This Slow Cooker Beef Stew requires almost no prep work. Just dump the ingredients into your slow cooker and walk away!
I am not a fan of cold weather, but I am a huge fan of cold weather food. I love warm soups, spicy chili, and all things that can be made in the slow cooker; like this simple beef stew. It’s great because it’s full of flavor but can easily be customized with veggies your family likes.
As you can see from the above, my family likes meat, potatoes, and carrots. ? Feel free to add in some green veggies- peas or green beans, and corn would be a nice addition. My daughter especially likes it with pasta shells, so I usually make her some on the side and add it to her bowl just before serving.
This is also a freezer meal, so it can be made ahead of time and pulled out to throw in the slow cooker when you’re ready.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Beef Stew
This hearty beef stew doesn’t have a lengthy ingredients list, but packs in lots of flavor. Here’s what I used to make this easy beef stew in the slow cooker:
- Stew meat
- Beef stock
- V-8 juice
- Barbecue sauce
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Beef Stew in the Slow Cooker
It’s easier than you’d think to make classic beef stew in a slow cooker! Just place all the ingredients into a slow cooker, then add the lid. Cook on high for 6 to 7 hours or on low for 8 to 9 hours. Seriously, that’s it!
What to Serve with Beef Stew
I love serving this hearty beef stew with fresh bread or rolls, a side salad, or cornbread. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Perfect Yeast Rolls
- Buttermilk Cornbread
- Jalapeño Cheddar Dinner Rolls
- Mashed Potatoes
- 7 Up Biscuits
- Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
Can You Freeze Beef Stew?
Yes! Place all the raw ingredients except the potatoes into a large freezer bag. Then, when ready to cook add in the potatoes and pop everything into the slow cooker!
Tips for the Best Ever Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- I prefer using lean stew meat in my homemade beef stew. You may need to go to the meat counter to find it at your local grocery store.
- If you don’t have V-8 where you live, it’s essentially a tomato-based vegetable juice.
- There’s no need to brown or saute any of the ingredients beforehand. Just chuck it all into the slow cooker and cook!
More Easy Slow Cooker Dinners:
- Slow Cooker Sausage, Peppers, & Onions
- Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup
- Crockpot Taco Chili
- Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken
- Crockpot BBQ Meatballs
- 1 large onion , diced
- 1 1/2 lbs lean stew meat , cut in 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups V-8 juice
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lb carrots , sliced into coins
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- Place all ingredients (except potatoes) in a freezer bag, mix well, freeze until ready.
- When ready to cook, add diced potatoes.
- Cook on high 6-7 hours or low for 8-9 hours.
Mary M. Martinez
Saturday 26th of March 2016
Holy molely that looks tasty!
Thursday 15th of October 2015
Oh this looks so delicious!! Thank you for the recipe! I would like to invite you to my DIY Crush Craft Party which starts at 7pm EST. and is new every Thursday. I'll pin every post!! ;)
Friday 7th of November 2014
Found you at the SITS link up and can't wait to try this! I've never made beef stew...if you can believe that!
Thursday 6th of November 2014
Chilli or stew
Thursday 6th of November 2014
I love to make corned beef and cabbage!!!