I am an enchilada connoisseur- it’s my favorite food and pretty much the only thing I order at Mexican food restaurants. Occasionally I will stray for brisket tacos, but enchiladas are my real true love. I order beef enchiladas with red sauce or queso while James orders chicken, but I always end up stealing a bite (or three) of his.
When I make enchiladas at home I always use corn tortillas, but I mixed it up with flour this time. It was a delicious change! I was really surprised how much I enjoyed the difference in taste and texture. I also like to smother my enchiladas in a red or chili con carne sauce but since I was using chicken for these I decided not to. The cream soaks in to the tortillas and mixes beautifully with the melted cheese. These Green Chili Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas can be assembled in no time and make for a delicious weeknight meal!
Green Chile Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 pound cooked chicken shredded or cubed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 oz green chiles drained
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 8-10 fajita-size flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened. About 5 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken, green chiles, cream cheese, salt, pepper, and cumin.
- Continue cooking until cream cheese is melted and ingredients are fully incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Spoon roughly 1/3 cup filling down the center of each tortilla.
- Roll closed and set seam-side down into a baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas until filling runs out.
- Drizzle evenly with cream and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and tops are golden brown.