Do you ever have that perfect meal that while simultaneously enjoying every bite of it you are dreaming about the next opportunity you will have to make it? This Tamale Casserole is that meal for me. It’s like an open-face enchilada, smothered in red sauce, topped with brisket and bubbly cheese, but with a soft, masa-like cornbread underneath. And can we talk about how I am obsessed with cilantro? I hear you either love it or hate it, but it really completes this dish.
I also love this meal because it uses simple ingredients, and can easily share ingredients to make two meals. Cook a nice size brisket in the crock pot (the same way I make my BBQ Sliders) and then use the leftover meat to make this Tamale Pie. We love brisket and use it in everything from BBQ sandwiches, tacos, enchiladas, or as a roast with potatoes and carrots.
I adapted this recipe from Pinch of Yum- she uses pork carnitas (and adds corn) and refers to it as Carnitas Tamale Pie. Be sure to check out her page for gorgeous step-by-step instructions.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 3 tbsps granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2-3 cups leftover brisket
- 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded white cheese
- Cilantro to garnish chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- Stir in the oil with a fork until the mixture makes soft crumbs.
- Whisk in the milk, egg, and green chiles until just combined.
- Bake in a 9-inch square pan for 25 minutes or until set.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350.
- Poke holes in the crust with a fork and pour the enchilada sauce over the soft crust.
- Arrange the brisket on top of the crust.
- Sprinkle generously with cheese.
- Cover with foil, return to oven, and bake for 20 minutes.
- When everything is heated through, remove foil and let bake for another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Top with chopped cilantro, allow to cool for 5 minutes, and cut into slices or scoop into bowls.