Do you ever feel like you are making the same meals over and over again each week? For us, it’s homemade pizza and pasta on repeat. I decided to combine our two favorites and this Italian Sausage Pizza Pasta was born- and loved by everyone!
We love Italian sausage on pizza, but I’ve also been incorporating it in our pasta dishes lately as well. With my oldest beef sensitivity, using pork means I don’t have to make special meals to accommodate everyone.
If you’re too late in the season for fresh tomatoes, a can of diced tomatoes would also work. (You could also just skip this step entirely and substitute in a jar of pasta sauce.) We like to melt the mozzarella in with the hot noodles and meat sauce, and top with fresh Parmesan just before serving.
Italian Sausage Pizza Pasta
- 8 oz Barilla Penne Pasta uncooked
- 1 lb Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage (ground)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 lb tomatoes diced
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Basil leaves
- Cook pasta according to directions on package.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil; swirl to coat.
- Add sausage and onion to the skillet, cook until meat is fully cooked.
- Add garlic, cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, mix well.
- Stir in cooked pasta, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with more cheese and garnish with basil.