This Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup is a cold weather classic. This delicious slow cooker recipe can be made ahead of time and placed in the freezer for later use.
This Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup is a go-to family favorite when the temperature starts to cool down. It’s cheesy and full of flavor and I love to serve it with a big, crusty loaf of bread or buttermilk cornbread.
Like my favorite Pressure Cooker Potato Soup, this recipe is even better the next day when the flavors have had time to marry.
Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- ground beef
- beef broth
I know you might be skimming the ingredients thinking that you (or your kiddos) hate tomatoes, but don’t leave them out because it will change the flavor. I don’t always love them either, but they’re easy to pick around if it’s an issue. I like to assemble this Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup ahead of time and keep it on hand in the freezer (just be sure to cook the meat first).
How to Freeze Cheeseburger Soup
The most important thing is to fully cook the ground beef prior to freezing. Add the diced onion, canned diced tomatoes, seasoning, broth, and raw potatoes into a large freezer bag. I usually try to freeze things flat for easier storage, but if I am making this soup in the slow cooker later, I will freeze it standing up (so that the contents fall to the bottom half of the bag and I can add it easily to my crockpot frozen.)
You don’t want to add the cheese, flour, or milk to the freezer bag because these ingredients will be used later to thicken the soup.
How to Cook in the Slow Cooker
When you’re ready to cook, add the contents of the bag to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-6 hours. 30 minutes prior to serving, make a slurry with the flour and milk and add that to the hot soup with the shredded cheese.
- 1 pound ground beef, fully cooked
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4 cups russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- Fully cook the ground beef. Peel and dice the potatoes into bite sized chunks. Roughly chop the onion.
- Place all ingredients (except shredded cheese, flour, and milk) in a freezer bag and mix well. Freeze until ready. (Remember, the meat should be fully cooked. Allow it to cool slightly before adding to the bag.)
- Cook on low for 8 hours. 30 minutes prior to serving, whisk ¼ cup flour and 1 cup milk until no lumps remain and stir into the soup.
- Add cheese and stir again.
- Cover and continue cooking until soup is thickened, about 30 minutes.
This post was published October 20, 2017 and updated August 19, 2019.