This Chai Spiced Chunky Applesauce is full of flavor and only takes 5 minutes to make using a pressure cooker. Use this basic recipe to customize the flavor and texture to your preference.
I love chai spices and use them often to make this Spiced Cream Chai Tea Latte. I decided to use those same yummy flavors in our favorite Instant Pot Applesauce recipe.
This easy homemade applesauce recipe is delicious in its own right, but you can’t go wrong stirring some into yogurt or serving alongside a fall cheese plate.
What’s Needed for Chunky Applesauce?
To make this homemade chunky applesauce recipe, you’ll need the following:
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Sea salt
How to Make Chunky Applesauce
- Chop the apples and remove the seeds.
- Add all of the ingredients to a pressure cooker and mix well.
- Close the lid, then cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Allow to natural release.
- Use a spoon to mash the mixture for a chunky texture.
Can You Freeze Homemade Applesauce?
Yes, homemade applesauce freezes well. Let it cool completely, then store in airtight containers or a freezer bag. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight.
Can I Omit the Sugar?
We like to add brown sugar to our applesauce, but you can certainly omit the sugar or use maple syrup or honey as a sweetener instead.
Tips for Making Pressure Cooker Applesauce
- I’ve seen some recipes that also include coriander and turmeric, but I opted to leave those out of mine.
- You will want to make sure that you have an Instant Pot sealing ring for sweet and one for savory. Trust me!! You do not want your chai applesauce to taste like Bone Broth or Chicken Tortilla Soup! This is the one that I bought – it comes in a two pack; we use the blue for sweet and red for savory.
- The beauty of making this chunky applesauce in the pressure cooker is that you don’t need to peel the apples and you can mash it right in the pot with a spoon.
- I cut the apples into 1/8 sections so they stay uniform in size and all cook evenly. If you prefer a smoother applesauce use an immersion blender.
More Easy Apple Recipes:
- Sauteed Cinnamon Apples
- Apple Compote French Toast
- Caramel Apple Muffins
- Slow Cooker Pecan Spiced Apples
- Pumpkin Apple Butter
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 1/2 pounds Honeycrisp apples
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup water
- Chop the apples into 1/8 sections and remove the seeds.
- Add all of the ingredients to the pressure cooker and mix well.
- Close the lid to the pressure cooker. Cook on HIGH pressure for 5 minutes. Allow to natural release.
- Use a wooden spoon to mash the mixture for a chunky texture or use an immersion blender for a smoother texture.