These savory Ham and Cheese Pancakes are the perfect recipe for leftover holiday ham. They are so easy and delicious that they could easily be the star of your Easter brunch, too! This post contains affiliate links.
Leftovers might be one of my favorite things about big holiday meals. Especially if it’s our Southern Style Cornbread Dressing or Creamed Corn; but there’s only so many ways to repurpose leftover holiday ham, am I right? Ham and eggs, ham sandwiches, ham and beans…
These Ham and Cheese Pancakes are my favorite leftover ham recipe. These savory pancakes were inspired by my Best Ever Pancakes that we enjoy at least once a week. You only need a few simple ingredients, cubed ham, and freshly grated cheese to make these.
Tips for Perfect Pancakes
- If you’re using a skillet, make sure you have even heat. Let your pan heat up while you make the batter.
- Always spray your pan with a little bit of nonstick spray to keep your pancakes from sticking.
- Use an electric griddle to make multiple pancakes at once. This is the one I have and I use it ALL the time. Set it to 325 degrees for these pancakes.
- Use quality ingredients. I use unsalted butter and whole milk for this recipe. Grate your own cheese, it’s so much better!
- Make sure your baking powder is fresh. If you feel like it gives an odd taste, it’s probably time for a new one. You might also try aluminum-free.
Helpful Hints for Ham and Cheese Pancakes
- This batter is thick. You might be tempted to thin it out with more milk but don’t or your pancakes won’t cook as evenly throughout. The batter is thick.
- Because the batter is so thick, don’t expect to pour it. Use a 1/4 cup measuring spoon to portion out nice round pancakes.
- Don’t wait until you see bubbles to flip. The surface will go from shiny to matte, but you won’t see the defined bubbles. Take a peek under the corner to check for golden brown goodness before committing to the flip.
- Remember the flip is all in the wrist!
How to Serve Savory Pancakes
Dress these Ham and Cheese Pancakes up with a dollop of sour cream and top with diced green onions. These would be fantastic with a savory herb infused butter. Don’t be afraid to use traditional maple syrup either- the sweet and savory combo is one of my favorites!
Ham and Cheese Pancakes Video
These Savory Ham and Cheese Pancakes are the perfect recipe for leftover holiday ham. They are so easy and delicious that they could easily be the star of your Easter brunch, too!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup ham, diced
Melt the butter in microwave for 30 seconds, set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking powder.
Stir milk and egg together.
Create a well in the center of the flour mixture.
Pour the butter and milk mixture into the well.
Use a wire whisk to stir everything together until just combined. It will be slightly thick and lumpy, but should be well incorporated.
Mix in the diced ham and shredded cheese.
Allow the batter to rest while heating a lightly oiled skillet or griddle to medium high heat.
Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake.
Cook each side for 2-4 minutes, until lightly golden brown.