My husband makes these rolls for us every time we host special occasions at our house, or when I actually remember to remind him early enough for dinner. 🙂 They may not be quick 30 minute dinner rolls, but stick with me, they are worth the time!
These rolls need time to rise to perfection, but they don’t require a lot of fuss. The result is a fluffy, yeasty, delicious roll. This recipe can easily be doubled if you need to make a big batch for a crowd. We always end up with a few extra, and they are delicious the next morning with sausage and gravy. I like to sneak one fresh from the oven and drizzle it with honey. YUM.
- 1¼ cups milk
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp salt
- 3½ cups flour, more as needed
- Heat the milk in the microwave for one minute, stirring at 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the top of the milk, let sit undisturbed for five minutes.
- Add sugar, salt, butter, and egg. Mix thoroughly.
- Gradually mix in the flour. Add additional flour if needed. The dough should no longer be sticky, but not dry.
- Cover; let stand one hour.
- Punch the dough down, cover, let stand another hour in a warm place.
- Punch the dough down again, cover, let stand another hour in a warm place.
- Punch the dough down, and pinch off into 18 equal portions. Should be slightly larger than a golf ball. Roll each portion of dough into a ball.
- Place in a greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
If you enjoy searching for recipes on Pinterest, be sure to check out a new site just for recipes called Yummly. You can YUM recipes all over the web and save them to your recipe collections. Be sure to YUM my recipes and check out my collection on Yummly.
Originally published 4/4/2015.