Do you have a favorite snack or meal that your family hates but you love? Mine is meatballs with bbq sauce and grape jelly. You know- the ones usually served as an appetizer at parties? I love them over sticky rice as a quick lunch but my family thinks it is so weird, haha!
When I have the time, I love to make my own homemade meatballs. I toss them with this marinara recipe for spaghetti or meatball subs for an easy weeknight meal.
What’s in this homemade meatballs recipe?
To make these easy Homemade Meatballs, you’ll need the following:
- ground beef
- ground pork or turkey (see notes)
- breadcrumbs (plain or Italian)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Italian herbs (oregano, basil/parsley)
- onion powder
What kind of meat for meatballs?
I like to do a mixture of ground beef and pork when making homemade meatballs. The pork is a bit fattier and adds a ton of flavor to the mix. You could also use ground turkey if you’re wanting a leaner meat.
You want the mixture to loosely hold its shape. Don’t over-mix because then the meatballs will be tough. Don’t add too much liquid because then they won’t stay together.
How to make homemade meatballs
This recipe couldn’t be easier- add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine. Here are the basic steps to making these oven-baked homemade meatballs:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Use a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to shape uniform balls.
- Bake until no longer pink in the center.
- Serve with your favorite marinara sauce or freeze for later.
How to freeze homemade meatballs
Allow the meatballs to cool completely on a wire rack before adding to the freezer. I like to flash freeze my meatballs on the wire rack, individually spaced apart, to keep them from sticking together. After that, I transfer to a freezer safe container or resealable bag, and freeze. Defrost in the refrigerator or add to the slow cooker with sauce for an easy meal.
Tips for the best homemade meatballs
- Make sure you don’t over mix (it can make the meat tough).
- Use a cookie scoop (or an ice cream scoop) to make uniform balls; this will ensure they all cook the same.
- Start with just 3/4 cup of the milk but if your mixture is too dry when combining, add another tablespoon of milk until you reach the desired consistency.
- If the tops begin to brown too quickly, flip the meatballs over half way through the cooking time.
More delicious meatball recipes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork or ground turkey see notes
- 1 cup breadcrumbs plain or Italian
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ - 1 cup milk see notes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- ¼ cup fresh Italian herbs finely chopped (oregano, basil, and/or parsley)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef and pork until well combined.
- Add all other ingredients and mix until well combined- careful not to over-mix.
- Using a cookie dough or ice cream scoop, divide mixture into uniform balls, roll in your hands to form a nice ball and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, depending on size of meatball, until browned and no pink remains in center.
- Remove from oven and serve with favorite pasta sauce or freeze for later.