These Bourbon Roasted Cherries take only a few simple ingredients to make a sinfully delicious treat. Spoon over ice cream, cheesecake, oatmeal or just enjoy with a spoon! Serve at room temperature or warmed, these drunken cherries will keep in the refrigerator for two weeks.
I found this recipe when flipping through my [embarrassingly huge] stack of magazines the other day and thought these drunken roasted cherries looked too good not to make!
What’s Needed for Bourbon Cherries?
It doesn’t get much easier than these roasted cherries! Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
- Frozen sweet cherries
- Light brown sugar
- Ground ginger
- Kosher salt
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Bourbon Cherries
- Stir together the cherries, brown sugar, bourbon, ginger, and salt in a baking dish.
- Roast at 400F until the mixture smells very fragrant and the cherries have released a lot of liquid.
- Once the cherries have roasted, stir in the vanilla extract and let cool.
Ways to Eat Bourbon Roasted Cherries
These Bourbon Cherries are sinfully delicious on their own, but would be over-the-top spooned over vanilla ice cream (or Greek yogurt for those of you still going strong in your new year resolutions). Heck, they would be good over oatmeal, cheesecake, or just alongside a cheese plate!
With Valentine’s Day around the corner, these babies would be sweet packaged up in mason jars as gifts or as a special after-dinner-treat.
How to Store Roasted Cherries
Once the cherries have cooled, transfer them to a clean jar and refrigerate for up to two weeks. Serve at room temperature or warmed gently in a saucepan over low heat.
Tips for Making Bourbon Cherries
- I went heavy-handed on the bourbon and scant with the ginger. Feel free to adjust the ratios to suit your tastes.
- Cinnamon would also be a wonderful addition.
- Don’t skimp the vanilla! It adds so much flavor.
More Easy Fruit Desserts:
- Heart Shaped Cherry Pies
- Strawberry Bread
- Baked Strawberry Custard
- Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Bites
- Mixed Berry Fruit Galette
Bourbon Roasted Cherries
- 12 oz bag frozen pitted tart red or dark sweet cherries
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar , packed
- 3 tbsp bourbon (such as Maker's Mark)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Stir together cherries, brown sugar, bourbon, ginger, and salt in a small roasting pan or baking dish.
- Roast for 25 minutes (stirring occasionally) or until the mixture smells very fragrant and cherries have released a lot of liquid.
- Once the cherries have roasted, stir in the vanilla and let cool.