This Chicken and Rice is one of my favorite recipes from my Mom, and I can’t remember the last time I made it! I don’t know why I always forget about it because it’s definitely in my top 3 most favorite things she makes. I made this for dinner the other night and I was a little worried about the reviews I would get from my two toughest critics. Isabella seems to be in a phase where she doesn’t like anything (even if we had it the week before and she ate it all) and I was afraid it might be a touch too spicy for Sophia. Much to my surprise, they both had seconds! We ended up eating every bite, which meant no leftovers for me the next day. 🙂
This rice is delicious- spicy from the sausage and full of flavor from the chicken bouillon cube. Isabella has already asked for this twice since I made it. It reheats really well the next day, if you do end up with any leftovers.
I actually posted about this recipe back in February of 2011… right after I got my new DSLR camera, but obviously before I knew anything about using it. The pictures on that post are painfully awful. I’ve hidden the post, mainly because I don’t want two of the same recipes coming up in my search, but just for fun I’ll share one of my original photos:
Best Ever Chicken and Rice
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ small jar pimentos
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 1/3 roll of spicy sausage
- 1 cup slow cooking rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- In a large saucepan heat butter and oil.
- Brown the chicken breasts on each side.
- After finished browning, set aside in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet. Add the pimentos and green onions to the skillet with the sausage and saute until soft.
- Add the rice and continue cooking until just starting to brown.
- Microwave the water (1-2 minutes) and then dissolve the chicken bouillon cube in the warm water.
- Add the water mixture to the skillet and continue cooking until the rice is almost cooked.
- Pour the rice mix around the chicken and cover with foil.
- Bake 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.