Loaded Baked Potato Casserole is a delicious weeknight meal that can be made as one big casserole or in individual serving dishes. Load this dish up with chicken, cheese, green onions, bacon, and all your favorite baked potato fixings.
This Loaded Baked Potato Casserole is a fun way to eat baked potatoes- full of cheese, bacon, and chicken all surrounded by creamy, buttery chunks of potato.
Baked Potato Casserole
This dish can be made in to one big casserole or individual servings. We do casseroles a lot, so sometimes it’s fun to do things a little differently. Food often becomes more interesting when I present it in a new way to my kids.
How to Make Baked Potato Casserole
For this dish you will need: russet potatoes and your favorite baked potato fixings, like:
- Cheese- I prefer Sharp Cheddar
- Green onions
- Meat- we like grilled chicken, but pulled pork would also be delicious
- Sour cream
- Veggies- like chopped tomatoes or broccoli
Baked Potato Casserole with Chicken
I used leftover grilled chicken for this because it’s what I had on hand, but you could also use a rotisserie; you just can’t beat the flavor or tenderness (or ease) of a rotisserie chicken. You could also toss in some broccoli if you like (I would use frozen, let them thaw, and then toss in just before baking.)
What goes well with baked potatoes for dinner?
You could also omit the chicken in this dish and serve this Baked Potato Casserole as a side dish instead. Baked potatoes pair nicely with juicy steak, grilled chicken, meatloaf, or pork chops. I wouldn’t serve baked potatoes with another starchy side like rice or pasta, but a big, leafy, green salad would be a welcome addition.
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 lbs medium russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 4 green onions sliced thin
- 8 oz sharp cheddar grated
- Cook the bacon as desired. (I like to bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 425 degrees while cooking the potatoes. Place the bacon on a rimmed baking sheet covered in foil for easy clean up. Transfer to a paper towel when finished baking; break into pieces when cool.)
- Peel and cut the potatoes into large chunks. Place potatoes in a medium pot, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. Add 2 tsp salt, reduce heat and simmer until just tender, but not falling apart. (About 15 minutes.) Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the cream and butter to the potatoes, roughly mash with a fork (leaving some chunks).
- Add the chicken, scallions, bacon, 6oz cheese, remaining salt, and pepper to the potatoes. Mix well to combine.
- Transfer to a shallow baking dish or 6-8 large ramekins.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake until melted at 350 degrees. (About 15 minutes for ramekins or 20-25 for casserole.)