This Sweet Potato Rice Casserole is a delicious take on an old classic. Creamy, sweet, and easily doubles! It’s an easy side dish that is perfect for holiday get-togethers.
Prior to making this Sweet Potato Rice Casserole I had never considered cooking rice in a fruit juice, but it adds a totally new flavor element to the dish. It would be delicious prepared with apple juice, brown sugar, and walnuts or pecans for breakfast! My kids and I love to eat rice (with a little sprinkle of sugar and pat of butter) for breakfast with cinnamon toast.
I love the texture that the rice adds to this Thanksgiving classic.
- 8 oz crushed pineapple in natural juice drain and reserve juice
- 1 cup Minute® White Rice uncooked
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 5 oz evaporated milk
- 15 oz can sweet potatoes drained
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Measure reserved pineapple juice and add enough water to make 1 cup liquid.
- Prepare rice according to package directions (using 1 cup uncooked rice and 1 cup liquid).
- Combine pineapple, cooked rice, egg, milk, sweet potatoes, and cinnamon in a large bowl; mix well.
- Spread mixture into a 2qt baking dish and top with marshmallows.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until marshmallows begin to brown.