Creamy Homemade Queso without Velveeta. This queso only needs a few simple ingredients.
I try to always switch up our dinner rotation but there are two meals that seem to make it in our meal plan week after week: pancakes and tacos. I usually plan those meals for nights when James will be at the Fire Station because they’re kid-friendly and so easy to prepare. On taco night we swing by a local restaurant and pick up fresh tortillas and queso to go with our meal.
I had some tortillas in the pantry that needed to be used up after I planned to make my Green Chile Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas but never got around to it. I decided to use those for our taco night and couldn’t justify making a trip just for queso, so I made my own! I was eating delicious homemade queso in a matter of minutes made from a few simple ingredients that I already had on hand.
My kids gobbled up this Homemade Queso without Velveeta in a matter of minutes. They love to roll up flour tortillas to dip in the queso.
- 8 oz sharp white cheddar grated
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 5 oz petite diced tomatoes and green chilies (half of a 10oz can)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp green onions
- Combine 4oz cheddar, cream cheese, and diced tomatoes and green chilies in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add in spices and continue to stir continuously until cheese is melted.
- Once cheese mixture is fully melted and smooth, stir in remaining cheese and remove from heat. Top with green onions.