These Brown Sugar Cookies taste like your favorite chocolate chip cookies without the chocolate chips. These cookies have the perfect crispy edges with a soft and chewy center.
I grew up with a fully stocked cookie jar at all times. My mom made a big batch of cookies for the week every Sunday night, like her Classic Peanut Butter Cookies or Chewy Chocolate Cookies, for my Dad to take in his lunch.
Any time she would make chocolate chip cookies I would beg her to make me a few without any chocolate chips inside. She would usually sneak one or two on the baking sheet for me. I asked why she couldn’t just make the entire batch that way, and I don’t remember her exact answer but it was something along the lines of “we just don’t do that” haha.
I was craving a chocolate-chip-less-chocolate-chip-cookie the other day and thought to myself- why not make an entire batch??? I’m an adult now. I can do these things. Big girl decisions, y’all.
These Brown Sugar Cookies taste just like your favorite chocolate chip cookie without the chocolate chips. They’re buttery and salty and delicious. The edges are perfectly crispy but the centers stay soft and chewy. Be careful not to over-bake these, take them out when the edges are just starting to turn golden and the centers are still soft.
Brown Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar to a shallow bowl. Use a cookie scoop to portion out a ball of dough and drop it into the bowl of sugar. Coat each ball of dough with sugar completely.
- Bake 10-12 minutes- the edges of the cookies should be just starting to brown. The centers will be soft; do not over-bake. Let stand on cookie sheet 2-3 minutes before removing to cooling rack.
Originally published June 2012. Updated June 2017.