These Chewy Chocolate Cookies are a family favorite. Bonus: they require only simple ingredients and freeze really well. Add chocolate chips for an extra treat!
These Chewy Chocolate Cookies are one of my favorites because they are so easy to make and freeze really well. They’re my go-to when I’m craving something quick and chocolately and also when I need to make a big batch for a crowd. I love cookies that have crisp edges and chewy centers, and these easy chocolate cookies are just that.
Toss in some chocolate chips to add more chocolate flavor or sandwich around a giant scoop of ice cream for a perfect ice cream cookie sandwich. These homemade chocolate cookies are my go-to cookies to gift to friends or neighbors. The kids like to drizzle them with melted chocolate and sprinkles.
What’s in These Chewy Chocolate Cookies?
You can make a batch of these easy chocolate cookies at a moment’s notice since they require just pantry staples! Here’s what all goes into these cookies:
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda
How to Make Chocolate Cookies From Scratch
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Scoop out the cookie dough, roll in sugar, and place on a baking tray.
- Bake at 350ºF for 9 minutes.
Can I Freeze Raw Cookie Dough?
Absolutely! I freeze cookie dough all the time. It’s perfect for sudden cookie cravings or surprise company. I scoop the dough, flash freeze individual balls on a baking tray, and then add them all to an airtight freezer bag to bake later as needed.
Can I Add Mix-Ins?
I don’t see why not! Chocolate chips would work nicely in these cookies, but you could also add peanut butter or butterscotch chips, M&M’s, Reese’s Pieces, and more.
Tips for Making Chewy Chocolate Cookies
Note that your butter should be softened, but not melted, before you cream it with the sugar. If the butter is too soft, your cookie dough will be runny.
Roll the cookie dough balls in granulated sugar before baking. I use a medium cookie scoop to make these chewy chocolate cookies uniform in size.
Also, be sure to let them rest on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire baking sheet to fully cool. They will continue to bake for the perfect gooey, chocolately, consistency.
More Easy Cookie Recipes:
- Reese’s Pieces Chocolate Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Protein Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- Butterscotch Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Graham Cookies
Chewy Chocolate Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cream softened butter and sugar; blend in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and gradually add to the mixer.
- Drop by spoonful (I use a small cookie scoop) into a small bowl of sugar and roll to coat.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 9 minutes.
- Let stand on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes until no longer puffy.
- Remove to cooling rack.