This Plain Muffin Recipe can be enjoyed as is, or you can add your favorite mix-ins! Perfect for a weekend breakfast!
These small-batch, one bowl muffins are one of my favorite breakfast recipes. They’re quick to make, only require a few simple ingredients, and come out perfect every time! We love to eat these warm, slathered with strawberry butter.
What’s Needed for Plain Muffins?
This basic muffin recipe can be jazzed up with whatever mix-ins you’d like. But for the base recipe all you need is:
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
How to Make Plain Muffins
These small batch muffins are as easy as it gets! Here’s how to make basic muffins:
- Line a muffin tin with six muffin liners (use the center holes if using a 12 muffin pan).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tin, and bake at 400F until done.
Can I Add Mix-Ins?
Of course! You’re welcome to add any mix-ins you’d like. Some options include: dried fruits, fresh berries, chopped nuts, chocolate chips, lemon or orange zest, and poppyseeds.
Can I Freeze Muffins?
Yes! These plain muffins freeze very well. Let them cool completely, then seal them in a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Tips for Making Basic Muffins
- You can easily double this recipe. Just double the ingredients list!
- I recommend using the center six holes of your muffin pan when making this recipe for even baking.
- These plain muffins are best served warm, right out of the oven. Pop them in the microwave (one at a time) for a few seconds to warm them back up if desired.
- For added flavor, try putting some vanilla or lemon extract into the batter.
More Easy Muffin Recipes:
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Oatmeal Raisin Muffins
- Maple Pecan Muffins (Gluten Free)
- Zucchini Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with six muffin liners, use the center holes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add milk, egg, and oil to the dry ingredients.
- Stir until just incorporated, don’t overmix.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tin, and bake for 15-18 minutes.