Mild, creamy Havarti cheese pairs perfectly with tart apricot for a delicious grilled cheese sandwich. Add some prosciutto for an out of this world unique grilled cheese sandwich.
Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese Month? We are big fans of grilled cheese sandwiches in my house. I can pretty much guarantee that I always have the ingredients on hand, and I know that my kiddos will always gobble it up when I make it. We especially love grilled cheese sandwiches and soup for lunch on rainy days.
I decided to make a twist on the classic grilled cheese sandwich, with this sweet Creamy Havarti and Apricot Grilled Cheese. Havarti or Cream Havarti is a semisoft Danish cow’s milk cheese. It is a table cheese that can be sliced, grilled, or melted. The mild Havarti pairs perfectly with tangy, slightly tart apricot preserves. This would have also been delicious with some prosciutto or even some crispy bacon!
This grilled cheese sandwich was amazing. I love the sweet take on a savory favorite, with the creamy Havarti and bright flavors of Summer. I could almost imagine myself at a beautiful outdoor picnic when I was enjoying it.
- 2 slices Arla Dofino Havarti (or 2oz)
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tbsp butter softened
- 1-2 tbsp apricot preserves
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Spread apricot preserve on the other side of each slice of bread.
- Add one slice of bread, butter side down, to a skillet over medium heat.
- Top with cheese and other slice of bread, butter side up.
- Allow to cook until bread is golden.
- Flip, and allow to cook until other slice of bread is golden and cheese is melted.