Bananas are one of my favorite fruits. I love to eat them plain or add them into smoothies, and Sophia eats them all the time. We easily go through a bunch of them every few days. They are perfect to me when they start to ripen and have just a few brown “freckles” on the peel.
Since we do go through them so quickly, we don’t have too many that turn brown before we get a chance to eat them. That wasn’t the case last week though, and we had five get way too ripe before we were able to eat them. I also had a half gallon of buttermilk in the fridge that needed to be used up too. (I tried a recipe for “copycat IHOP pancakes” that called for buttermilk… totally weren’t the same.)
This buttermilk banana bread was delicious! Who knew buttermilk and banana bread were meant to be together? It was so moist, and the flavor was perfect. Definitely my new favorite.
Buttermilk Banana Bread
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 medium bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Grease and flour three loaf pans. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until well combined.
- Pour batter evenly into three prepared loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.