This One Bowl Chocolate Cake is perfect when you have unexpected company or are craving something sweet. Dust the chocolate cake with powdered sugar for an easy presentation.
This chocolate cake is super easy and so good. We call it “company cake” because it can be made in a hurry if you have last minute company.
Ingredients in One Bowl Chocolate Cake
This is such a simple, moist chocolate cake recipe. To make it, you’ll need the following:
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda and baking powder
- Vanilla extract
How to Make One Bowl Chocolate Cake
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl, followed by the wet (except the egg). Beat for 2 minutes.
- Add the egg, then beat for 2 more minutes.
- Turn batter into a greased and floured single 9×1-1/2-inch round or 8x8x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake until done.
- Just before serving, dust with powdered sugar.
How to Store Chocolate Cake
Because this chocolate cake from scratch isn’t frosted, it can be kept at room temperature in an airtight container. It will last up to 5 days, noting that it will dry out a bit over time.
Can I Freeze Chocolate Cake?
Yes! You can freeze the entire cake or individual slices. To thaw, place on your counter.
Tips for the Best Ever Chocolate Cake
- For a moister cake, use 2% or whole milk. Skim milk will work but results in dryer baked goods.
- I’ve only made this recipe as written, so I can’t speak to whether using a gluten-free flour substitute will work.
- I love the simplicity of this one bowl chocolate cake recipe, but if you want to frost it you can’t go wrong with this Chocolate Buttercream Frosting or Easy Cream Cheese Frosting!
More Simple Cake Recipes:
One Bowl Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour a single 9×1-1/2-inch round or 8x8x2-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add milk, oil, and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until just combined.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add egg and beat 2 minutes more.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and allow to cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and transfer to a serving plate.