With only five ingredients these Gooey Butter Cake Bars will be your new family favorite go-to dessert! Creamy and ridiculously rich!
I’ll admit, I’m not a fan of sheet cakes… I almost don’t count them as “real” cakes haha. There’s just something about a beautiful, round cake stacked tall that equates to the definition of cake to me. My husband requests a boring, rectangular yellow cake with chocolate frosting for his birthday every year and it almost pains me to make it flat like that.
I actually rarely make cake, usually only for birthdays or when I have a serious craving for a big, thick piece with a glass of milk. All of that said… these Gooey Butter Cake Bars might be my new go-to dessert. Even though they have a box of cake mix in them, I don’t really consider them to be “cake”, they’re definitely more of a brownie/ bar to me. The creamy topping reminds me of my Breakfast Cheesecake Bars. Almost like Vanilla Pudding with a delicious cake crust!
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 4 eggs
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- Mix together the cake mix, 2 eggs, and melted butter.
- Spread this mixture into the bottom of the pan as your "crust" layer.
- Mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and remaining two eggs.
- Spread this mixture evenly over the crust layer.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until top and edges are golden brown and center is set. (It should be set, but not too firm.)
- Allow to cool before serving. Store in the refrigerator.