This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Tom Thumb. All opinions are 100% mine.
Green Chile Chicken Soup made with chicken breasts, black beans, sweet corn, and southwestern spices. This Instant Pot chicken recipe is a cross between chicken tortilla soup and white bean chicken chili.
Weather in Texas has officially entered that awkward stage where we need a sweater in the morning and are sweating by the evening. That doesn’t stop me from pulling out all of my favorite fall recipes though. We’ve been making Pumpkin Pancakes for breakfast, loaves of Pumpkin Bread to snack on, and all the soups for dinner!
This Green Chile Chicken Soup has been our new favorite; it’s almost a cross between my Chicken Tortilla Soup and White Bean Chicken Chili. Bonus: it all cooks up in the Instant Pot, so no need to heat up the kitchen if your days are still warm like mine.
Green Chile Chicken Soup Ingredients
This soup has all the southwestern flavors (cumin, chili powder, cayenne) of the white bean chili with the yummy corn and black beans from the tortilla soup. For this recipe, you will need:
- Open Nature® Air Chilled Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- O Organics® Chicken Broth
- O Organics® Black Beans
- Frozen sweet corn
- Canned green chiles
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- O Organics® White Medium Cheddar
- O Organics® Mexican Style Blend
- Heavy whipping cream
- Lime juice
Open Nature® offers minimally processed, high quality products for everyone in the family, including plant-based, high protein, and gluten-free options available at a value in the Dallas area exclusively at Tom Thumb stores.
Open Nature® chicken is 100% vegetarian fed, with no added hormones or steroids (and no antibiotics EVER) and is now Air-Chilled for more intense flavor! Air-chilled chickens are individually processed in a series of cold chambers with purified air. Because there’s no retained water, the result is more intensely flavored chicken, and better marinade pick-up.
How to Make Green Chile Chicken Soup
You will need fully-cooked shredded chicken to make this soup. I prefer to cook my chicken in the Instant Pot first and then cook the soup in the Instant Pot while I am shredding the chicken in my stand mixer.
- Add the chicken broth, black beans (drained and rinsed), frozen corn, green chiles, and all spices to the Instant Pot.
- Cook under high pressure for four minutes. Carefully perform a quick release.
- Stir in the fully-cooked shredded chicken, both cheeses, and juice from one lime to the soup.
- Whisk in the heavy cream and top with avocado chunks, sour cream, or tortilla strips as desired.
Tips for Making Green Chile Chicken Soup
- I love the flavor of green chiles, whether added to mac and cheese or chicken enchiladas, but you could substitute with poblanos or jalapeños if you like.
- If you want this dish to be heartier (more like a chili than a soup), add in two cans of Great Northern Beans for heft.
- I much prefer frozen corn in this recipe, but canned corn will work in a pinch; just be sure to drain the liquid before adding.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Pressure Cooker
- 3 chicken breasts about 2lbs
- 64 oz chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 2.5 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 15 oz cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 4 oz green chiles
- 6 oz white medium cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 oz Mexican style blend cheese shredded
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Cook the Chicken
- Fully cook the chicken. I like to use the Instant Pot method: add 1 cup of the chicken broth to the Instant Pot. Place the trivet inside and place the chicken on top. Season with salt and pepper. Close the lid and seal. Cook for 8 minutes on high pressure before carefully performing a quick release. Remove the chicken to shred. (Do not place the chicken back in the Instant Pot yet.)
For the Soup
- Add the remaining chicken broth, spices, black beans, corn, and green chiles to the Instant Pot.
- Cook for four minutes under high pressure before carefully performing a quick release.
- Add the fully-cooked shredded chicken, both cheese, and the juice of one lime to the Instant Pot.
- Gently stir in the heavy whipping cream.
- Top with avocado chunks, sour cream, or tortilla strips as desired.
I found all of my favorite high-quality Open Nature® and O Organics® products at my local Tom Thumb store but you can also find the items I mentioned above at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, Tom Thumb and Vons. Tom Thumb also offers Grocery Delivery and Drive Up & Go™ for convenient ways to shop!