We are big fans of pizza in my house, and order out way more than I would like to admit. Especially when I know it is SO easy (and cheaper!) to make myself. Much like they way I feel about pasta, we never just have pizza. My husband and I love homemade buffalo chicken pizza (coming soon), and if we order out I always get plain cheese, but this time I wanted to try making something new.
I was a little surprised that even my six year old loved this taco pizza. She’s at that stage where we can have something one night and she loves it, have it again and it’s the worst thing she’s ever eaten. Fun times. I think one of the secrets to this pizza is using a quality salsa. We use The Pioneer Woman’s Restaurant Style Salsa– exclusively, for everything. What’s even funnier is when I was at the store buying ingredients I overheard another couple shopping in the produce section for the things to make her salsa as well!
I cook my pizzas in a cast iron skillet, so I would recommend that over a pizza stone just because that is my personal experience. It’s also really important to preheat your pan while you preheat the oven. Be VERY careful when it comes time to put the dough into a very hot pan. I also grate my own cheese, it does melt differently that the pre-shredded, but it tastes so much better in my opinion. Get the recipe for the homemade pizza dough here.
- 1 recipe Homemade Pizza Dough
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 lb hamburger meat cooked
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp green onions diced
- Heat the hamburger meat until fully cooked. Add in the water and taco seasoning.
- Cook another 7-10 minutes on low to allow the liquid to be absorbed.
- Spread the dough into the prepared pan.
- I like to layer the toppings- salsa, cheese, meat, more cheese, and green onions.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 7-12 minutes. (Golden brown edges, bubbly cheese)
- Brush the edges of the crust with butter and sprinkle with coarse sea salt immediately after taking out of the oven.
What is your favorite pizza topping?
Thursday 18th of September 2014
Simple but great idea! I'll add some additional items but thanks for the inspiriation!
Tuesday 28th of January 2014
What a wonderful combination of flavors! Yum-yum!!! Thanks so much for sharing and have a happy Tuesday!! hugs x, Crystelle