These three-ingredient Cream Cheese Sausage Pinwheels are so easy and so delicious. This savory, cheesy, tangy recipe is so versatile and is perfect as an appetizer, party food, or brunch dish.
James and I went to a party a year or so ago and they served this sausage and cream cheese breakfast casserole that was amazing. When I asked for the recipe, I couldn’t believe it was only three simple ingredients!
These Sausage Cream Cheese Pinwheels are a play on that breakfast casserole. One thing I love about this recipe, aside from it being SO easy, is that it is also so versatile. You can bake it up as a casserole dish (like my Breakfast Cheesecake), in little cups (like my Pumpkin Cheesecake Rolls), or shape them into rounds like I did this time.
What’s Needed for Sausage Pinwheels?
Like I mentioned above, these sausage and cream cheese crescent roll pinwheels require just three simple ingredients:
- Pillsbury® Crescent Dough Sheet
- Jimmy Dean® Fresh Roll Sausage
- Cream cheese
How to Make Sausage Pinwheels
- Brown the sausage, then drain any excess fat.
- Add the cream cheese to the cooked sausage and stir to combine.
- Unroll the seamless dough and spread the meat mixture over top.
- Roll the dough into a log shape, then slice into pinwheels.
- Bake until the sausage cream cheese pinwheels are golden brown.
Can I Prep This Sausage Appetizer in Advance?
Yes! These Sausage Cream Cheese Pinwheels are perfect for a crowd and can be made ahead of time. Make individual servings as an appetizer, or leave it all as one and serve for brunch as a breakfast casserole!
Can I Freeze Sausage Pinwheels?
I’ve never tried freezing these sausage and cream cheese pinwheels before, but I’m not sure if that would work. I worry that the cream cheese would separate once frozen.
Tips for Making Sausage Cream Cheese Pinwheels
- My family likes heat, so I make this sausage cream cheese crescent roll pinwheel recipe most often with spicy sausage.
- Be sure to use the kind of cream cheese that’s sold in a block. It’s firmer and creamier than the kind in a tub.
- Make sure to buy refrigerated dough that doesn’t have any seams, otherwise your filling will leak out in the oven.
More Easy Appetizers:
- Easy Spicy Ranch Pretzels
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips
- Fried Ravioli with Spicy Marinara
- Bacon Corn Dip
- Mini Frito Chili Pies
- 1 tube seamless dough
- 1 roll Jimmy Dean® Fresh Roll Sausage
- 8 oz cream cheese
- Fully cook the sausage until brown and crumbly. Drain and return to the pan.
- Combine the cream cheese with the meat over low heat until just incorporated. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven according to the package of seamless dough. (350 or 375 depending on the pan you use.)
- Unroll the seamless dough and spread the cooled meat mixture.
- Roll the dough into a log shape and slice into eight equal pinwheels.
- Place the pinwheels on a baking sheet (or pan of choice) and bake for 10-13 minutes, until pinwheels are golden brown.