These Italian Baked Eggs are a delicious, savory dish that tastes like eating lasagna for breakfast (with less carbs and more protein.) Perfect with crusty french bread dippers, but just as good with a fork!
Now that I’ve perfected how to bake eggs in the oven, I eat them at least once a week! I love to add new flavors and this version of Italian Baked Eggs is my latest favorite.
Why Bake Eggs in the Oven?
If you’re new to baked eggs (also known as shirred eggs), there’s a lot of great benefits to this cooking method. I’ve found it’s easier to cook for a crowd or a brunch, because I’m able to make as many as I need at once. You can customize the flavors by adding different veggies (mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes), different cheeses (mozzarella, feta, gruyere), or different herbs (basil, parsley, cilantro).
My favorite reason to bake eggs in the oven is so that I don’t have to babysit them on the stove!
These Italian Baked Eggs are almost the basis of my Creamy Lasagna– which uses egg and milk instead of ricotta and results in perfectly creamy, cheesy layers. I chose to eat mine with some crusty french bread dippers (like toast soldiers), but this savory dish is just as a good with a fork. 🙂
Love these Italian Baked Eggs? Be sure to also try my Baked Eggs with Tomatoes and Feta.
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyere or mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsps grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Italian seasoning or dried basil to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly butter two 10-ounce ramekins or coat with nonstick spray.
- Divide marinara sauce evenly into the ramekins.
- Top with eggs, milk, and cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper, and desired seasoning, to taste.
- Bake until egg whites are cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.