This Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Strata is like a delicious bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich in casserole form. It reheats nicely and can even be made ahead of time.
A few days ago, James and Isabella went exploring in our new little town. They ended up stopping to visit with another firefighter, that he works with, that happens to live not too far from us. Our friend, Chris, handed James a dozen fresh eggs from his farm on his way out.
We added them to the refrigerator… with the dozen I picked up from the store and the dozen that James’ parents had just given us. We’ve been joking that with everyone having chickens out here, you just start giving away dozens of eggs to random passersby.
I’m picky about my bacon; my husband and oldest like it just cooked, where some pieces remain almost chewy, but I love mine as crispy as possible.
This Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Strata is like a delicious bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich in casserole form. It reheats nicely and can even be made ahead of time. (Prepare as directed below, except instead of baking, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours, then bake as directed.)
- 8 slices firm white bread
- 1 small can of diced green chiles
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained and patted dry
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and coat 2qt baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange half of the bread in a single layer in the dish, cutting to fit as needed.
- Cover with half of the green chilis, cooked bacon, cheese, and tomatoes.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for a second layer.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk, black pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
- Pour egg mixture over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered,at 375 for 45 minutes, or until lightly browned.