Creamy, flaky, and delicious. This chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food. Use frozen pie crust and rotisserie chicken to make this a quick weeknight meal.
Chicken Pot Pie is one of my ultimate comfort foods. It’s creamy, and flaky, and hearty- everything good comfort food should be. This is obviously one of our favorite wintertime meals, but sometimes I just can’t help myself and serve it in the warmer months too. Using frozen pie crust and rotisserie chicken makes this a quick weeknight meal.
One thing I’ve learned is that most of my pie plates are too shallow for this dish. So instead of using a round pie plate, I use a deeper rectangular casserole dish. It’s delicious with homemade pie crusts of course, but I prefer frozen just the same. If you need to use a different pan like I do, just let the frozen pie crust soften while you prepare the filling. Once it is soft enough to be malleable, use a butter knife to gently lift it up out of the pie tin and place it on a cutting board or baking mat to carefully shape it into the size of your pan. I’m a fan of crust, so I use one on the bottom as well as the top. If you like less crust, just pour the filling into a greased pan and top with crust.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (or rotisserie chicken)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add celery, carrot and onion; cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add flour and salt and pepper; stir until incorporated.
- Slowly add in chicken broth and cream.
- Cook 5 minutes, or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chicken.
- Pour chicken mixture into a deep-dish pie crust.
- Top with second pie crust, gently pressing the edges together.
- Cut small holes with a knife or fork to vent.
- Bake 30 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and filling is bubbly.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.