It’s here. Pumpkin season is upon us! I’ll admit I’m not a huge fan of pumpkin, but I am so ready for everything it symbolizes. The cooler weather, the shorter days, the holiday season! I won’t be going out for a Pumpkin Spice Latte any time soon, but I am easing my way in with this Pumpkin Pie Spice Trail Mix.
It’s also happens to be National Trail Mix Day. This Pumpkin Pie Spice Trail Mix is perfect to eat by the handful, or would be yummy mixed in with your morning oatmeal!
Do you know what a pepita is? I didn’t until two days ago, but isn’t it so fun to say? Pepita. Pepitas are the green kernels from pumpkin seeds. Pepitas are a source of zinc and protein and they also provide iron, vitamin E, magnesium, potassium, some B-complex vitamins and dietary fiber. Perfect to add in to your trail mix!
I love the color and crunch of this trail mix. I opted not to include any fruit into mine, but raisins or crystallized ginger pieces would be a yummy addition. This batch makes enough to fill a mason jar, with just a healthy smidge leftover to sample. Pair it with my Happy Fall tags and you have an easy Fall gift!
Pumpkin Pie Spice Trail Mix
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup pumpkin pie filling
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tbsp water
- Toast the oats, almonds, pecans, and pepitas at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, stirring once.
- Add all remaining ingredients to a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the nuts, seeds, and oats and stir to coat thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.
More pumpkin recipes: