Make your own restaurant quality (or better) Chicken Burrito Bowl at home with this delicious recipe! These bowls are packed with a fresh flavors and filling protein.
I love going to Chipotle and getting a huge chicken burrito bowl piled high with fresh toppings and fluffy cilantro lime rice; it’s one of my favorite fast food meals because it’s filling but doesn’t make me feel like taking a nap afterward. With the closest Chipotle being over 30 minutes away, I’ve started making these homemade Chicken Burrito Bowls instead when the craving strikes.
I like to make my own add ons for this recipe also, making fresh pico de gallo and salsa, yummy corn and black bean salad to top it with, and even make my own fresh guacamole to dollop on top of the finished burrito bowl. Sometimes I go over the top and make my own homemade queso to take it to the next level.
One of the best parts of this recipe is the dressing, you’re going to love it and use it on everything! A fresh, delicious, and quick dressing to mix up and you’re ready to drizzle it over your burrito bowl to finish it off.
How to Make Chicken Burrito Bowls:
Dressing: Make the dressing up to a day ahead of the burrito bowls so it is ready when you are set up to serve them. If you make it ahead store it in the refrigerator in a jar or bottle with a lid.
Prep: Get your toppings prepped by dicing, chopping, and slicing them before you start cooking your chicken and rice.
Rice: Get your rice ready to cook so it can be boiling and simmering while the chicken and peppers cook.
Cook the chicken: You need to mix together the seasonings, oil, and lime juice in a bowl and then add the chicken and mix it to coat the chicken in the marinade-type sauce. Your peppers will cook in with the chicken.
Rest: Allow the chicken to rest on a cutting board, this helps the juices to seal in all the flavors to get deeper into your chicken breast.
Assemble: Get a large bowl and start assembling your Chicken Burrito Bowl in whichever order you like, start with beans or rice or lettuce and keep going until you have it the way you want it.
This Chicken Burrito Bowl recipe is great for parties too, or feeding a crowd; get everything together and lay it out buffet style and let everyone make their own. With a little bit of prep time getting things diced and mixed and cooking the chicken this actually becomes a quick dish to put together.
I also like to have everything ready to assemble so all I have to do is put together these yummy burrito bowls for lunches throughout the week!
- You can marinate the chicken in the refrigerator with the sauce that you prepared, the length of time is up to you, from 30 minutes to overnight.
- The dressing can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- You can use any white or brown rice you prefer, even a quick frozen rice steamer would work if you’re short on time.
How to Store Chicken Burrito Bowls:
You can store the individual ingredients in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to five days. I wouldn’t suggest keeping them stored all mixed together as lettuce and fresh produce will get soggy and wilted and flavors won’t be as fresh.
Give this delicious favorite recipe a try and let me know what you topped it with and what your favorite ingredient was! I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on this Chicken Burrito Bowl recipe.
More Mexican Inspired Dishes
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- White or Brown Rice cooked
- Black beans
- Fiesta Corn
- Red onion
- Pico de Gallo
- Bell Peppers see notes
- ½ cup Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon taco or hot sauce
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice and seasonings for chicken
- Add chicken and turn to coat
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a heavy skillet, cook chicken over medium heat 10-15 minutes turning several times, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F
- Remove to cutting board and let rest
- While the chicken is cooking, cook the rice according to package directions
- Cut vegetables, drain and rinse black beans
- Slice or dice chicken
- Assemble burrito bowl with toppings of your choice
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth