Feta Roasted New Potatoes are a simple side dish for any meal. Roasted baby red potatoes coated with tangy feta cheese and fresh thyme.
Kid-friendly mashed potatoes used to be my go-to side when making pork chops or grilled chicken breast; but since finding out that Isabella has an intolerance to white potatoes, James and I have started getting creative now that it’s just the two of us eating.
Obviously, one of the easiest ways to spruce up potatoes is by adding cheese. I love new potatoes, so for recipes like this where the potato is the star, I typically use baby reds because I don’t mind eating the skin. James eats the skin of regular russets, but I just can’t do it.
This is a simple recipe, but the feta and fresh thyme really elevate it to the next level. The feta is tangy and salty, but gets slightly creamy when mixed with the warm roasted potatoes. You want the potatoes to be fork tender and get that nice crisp on the outside.
What’s Needed for Roasted New Potatoes?
These roasted baby red potatoes can be thrown together with just a handful of ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make these oven roasted new potatoes:
- Baby red potatoes
- Olive oil
- Fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and pepper
How to Roast New Potatoes
- Toss quartered potatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper on a baking sheet.
- Roast until golden brown and crisp.
- Immediately toss baked new potatoes with feta and thyme.
How Long to Roast Red Potatoes
If using baby red potatoes as the recipe calls for, you’ll need to roast them at 425 degrees F for 18 to 22 minutes.
Can I Use Dried Thyme?
Yes, but I much prefer using fresh thyme in this recipe. If using dried thyme, I recommend using ground thyme. You’ll need much less than the recipe calls for because dried herbs are more potent than fresh.
Tips for Making Roasted Baby Red Potatoes
- Be sure to quarter the baby red potatoes so they cook more quickly and at an even rate.
- You can buy pre-crumbled feta or you can crumble part of a block yourself. Either will work in this recipe!
- You want to season the potatoes with kosher salt, but don’t add too much. Remember, feta cheese is also salty!
More Potato Side Dishes:
- Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Pressure Cooker Sweet Potatoes
- 2 lbs baby red potatoes , quartered
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 sprigs thyme , leaves picked and chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place a baking sheet in the oven to preheat while you prepare the potatoes.
- Toss the quartered potatoes on a baking sheet and coat generously with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast the potatoes until golden brown and crisp on the outside but fork-tender on the inside, 18-22 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl and toss with the feta and thyme to coat thoroughly. Serve immediately.