This past Saturday was also National Tortellini Day and I decided to celebrate with a simple and delicious tortellini soup. This soup comes together really easily- no simmering all day or tons of prep work ahead of time.
Even better when I know that I generally always have what I need to make it on hand. For example- I like to use evaporated milk in this recipe because I always keep a can in the pantry- but you could also swap out cream or half and half if you happen to have it available.
I love the flavor that they sausage brings to this dish. I like to use Owen’s HOT for this because it brings a lot of heat and spice. I’m always looking for recipes to sub in sausage or ground turkey after recently learning that Isabella has a food intolerance to beef; she ate TWO bowls of this for dinner!
- 1 lb Hot or Spicy sausage ground, not links
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb fresh cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Break up and brown the sausage over medium heat in a large pot.
- After the sausage is fully cooked, you may drain the grease if necessary.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, crushed tomatoes, and chicken stock to the pot.
- Bring this mixture to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and cook for the length of time directed on the package.
- After the tortellini is tender, remove from heat and add the evaporated milk.
- Top with Parmesan cheese before serving.