You might remember that last year I hosted a Great American Bake Sale to raise money for No Kid Hungry– a cause that is very near and dear to my Mama heart. So when I was given the opportunity to create a recipe and spread the word about the wonderful things companies like Fleishman’s and Karo are doing to help end childhood hunger I jumped at the chance. These companies have partnered with America’s Test Kitchen and Joy Wilson of Joy the Baker blog, to create baking tips and unique twists on classic recipes to encourage more bakers to bake a difference. With the recent changes to programs like SNAP, it is more important than ever to get involved and see what we can do to help end this crisis.
One in five children in the U.S. struggle with hunger and cannot rely on having access to the daily nutritious food they need to grow and thrive. This year Fleischmann’s Yeast, Fleischmann’s Simply Homemade Baking Mixes and Karo Syrup – trusted baking products that have helped people create beautiful homemade bread, baked goods and delicious desserts for more than 100 years – are launching the Baking A Difference campaign to benefit Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign to help end childhood hunger in America through the power of baking.
In addition to donating a total of $450,000 to the No Kid Hungry campaign, Fleischmann’s Yeast, Fleischmann’s Simply Homemade Baking Mixes and Karo Syrup are calling all bakers to bake for a cause. Baking can now help children across the country get the nutritious food they need every day.
Bakers can help No Kid Hungry end childhood hunger in America by participating in the Baking A Difference campaign online via the 12 Days of #BakingADifference promotion on Facebook in December. Bakers can also share their recipe images of classic Fleischmann’s Yeast and Karo Syrup recipes using the #BakingADifference hashtag on all Fleischmann’s Yeast and Karo Syrup Facebook channels for a chance to be included in the Baking A Difference e-cookbook with Joy the Baker at Facebook.com/FleischmannsYeast and Facebook.com/KaroSyrup.
The Baking A Difference campaign will culminate in spring 2014 with a unique e-cookbook full of delicious, classic Fleischmann’s Yeast and Karo Syrup recipes, contemporary twists on classic recipes from Joy the Baker along with recipe images from bakers across the country showing how they bake a difference in their kitchens and local communities. The e-cookbook will be available for free download at Breadworld.com, Karosyrup.com, Facebook.com/FleischmannsYeast, Facebook.com/SimplyHomemadeMix and Facebook.com/KaroSyrup.
Inspire family, friends, teachers, neighbors and others to get involved in the Baking A Difference campaign and Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign. Collectively, we can all harness the power of baking recipes and bake a difference together to end child hunger in America.
To help you get started, enter below to win this awesome prize pack from Fleischmann’s and Karo Syrup, valued at $75 (Disclosure: I received the same prize pack):
- A premium bread basket with warming stone, holiday-festive accessories including oven mitts, a set of holiday spreaders and gourmet Cinnamon Apple Butter, a basket of Fleischmann’s Yeast, Karo Syrup and Simply Homemade varieties, including the new Pretzel Creations, to help you get baking!
These Jalapeño Cheddar Dinner Rolls are a savory twist on Fleishmann’s classic Dinner Rolls recipe. These rolls are yeasty, not too spicy, and full of bold sharp cheddar flavor. With the help of a stand mixer these no-knead rolls are ready to go in about an hour. I love using the RapidRise in this recipe to make it even easier. Fleischmann’s Yeast and Baking Mixes has been the trusted brand of yeast for home bakers and professionals for more than 140 years and is known for quality and reliability. The brand extends this heritage to its recipes by rigorously analyzing every Breadworld.com recipe in its professional Test Kitchen, so home bakers can be confident in creating great-tasting breads and baked treats.
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope Fleishmann's RapidRise Yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 jalapenos, finely diced
- 6 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
- Combine ¾ cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat milk, water, and butter until very warm (120-130 degrees F), and add to the flour mixture.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Continue adding ¼ cup flour and beating at medium high speed until soft dough forms.
- Using a dough hook, beat an addition 8-10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; shape into balls.
- Place in greased 9-inch round pan.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, or about 30 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with butter, if desired.
- Serve warm.
To learn more about the Baking A Difference campaign and get the latest recipes and baking tips from Fleischmann’s Yeast, Fleischmann’s Simply Homemade Baking Mixes and Karo Syrup, visit: