DIY Vertical Planter

Share these Good Eats...Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on YummlyShare on Google+Email this to someone

DIY Vertical Planter- great option for an herb garden if low on space! #diy #gardenI am so happy with the way this project turned out!  It makes me smile every time I walk past it on the front porch.  It was super easy, and much like my ombré note cards, pretty self-explanatory.

Here’s what you need:

• 14 in terra cotta pot
  • 12 in terra cotta pot
  • 10 in terra cotta pot
  • 8.25 in terra cotta pot
  • 6 in terra cotta pot
  • 14 in terra cotta base
  • potting soil
  • flowers or herbs
  • a wooden stake or rod, such as rebar

Note: You will need enough plants for five pots, but keep in mind they will only be on the edges.  I was able to do the entire project with one bag of potting soil, and had a little left over.  I purchased a wooden stake, but it was too thick to fit through the center holes.  (Keep this in mind when purchasing.)  I actually ended up using a curtain tension rod I had in my garage.  It worked perfect for me, especially being extendable.

Place your base where you want your planter to be.  (I don’t recommend moving it after assembled, so it’s best to build where you want it.)  Starting with the largest pot, fill it with dirt 3/4 of the way full and place the rod in the center.  Plant your herbs or flowers on the outermost edge, and add more dirt as filler as needed.  Place the 2nd largest pot in the center of the first pot.  Continue this process until all five pots are stacked.  Don’t fill the center all the way to the top with dirt, the next pot should sit down a couple inches inside the first pot.

I decided to make my planter multipurpose and used 3 of the 5 pots as an herb garden.  This is a great option for people who want a small herb garden, or are running low on space.  Would be perfect for an apartment balcony even!  My basil is growing like crazy, we can’t make enough pesto to keep up.  I planted begonias in the other pots because I liked the contrast they added to the herbs.

DIY Vertical Planter- great option for an herb garden if low on space! #diy #gardenI have enjoyed this DIY vertical planter so much!  I don’t consider myself to have a green thumb (I usually kill all of my indoor plants as soon as I buy them) but I am pretty proud of this project.  It has been a lovely addition to our front porch!

DIY Vertical Planter- great option for an herb garden if low on space! #diy #gardenYou can find the tutorial for my $10 & 10 Minute Wreath here

I am dying to paint my front door… any suggestions?

signature

Comments

1. says

I was wondering what area you lived in. I want to do a vertical herb garden, but I was told the herbs may not hold up during the winter months in PA.

2. Kim says

I love this idea! Do you think this would still work if you didn’t actually plant from a flowering plants and just planted seeds? I have wanted to start my own herb garden for so long, and I would love to try to start it from a seed. I don’t see why it wouldn’t but just thought I would ask. P.s. paint the door a deep turquoise for a pop!

3. says

I have been wanting to plant some herbs in a container, and love this idea! Thanks for sharing and breaking down the pot sizes that you used.

4. says

I would paint your door red…In Feng Shui and early American customs, a red door meant “welcome”. You have a very welcoming looking house….very pretty.

5. says

Such a great idea. I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams on Fridays 😀 Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party
    Shanice recently posted…City Of Links Party #13My Profile

6. says

What a great space saver and great tutorial. I just wanted to let you know that I am linking to this post on 4/7 at Simply Creative Living if you don’t mind.

7. Wendy says

Curious as to why a rod is necessary if pots rest in the dirt of the other pot? Also, since under the porch do they grow okay in the shade or or they in the sun most of the time? Thanks for input from anyone.

• says

Hi Wendy, I put a rod for extra stabilization. It gets pretty windy here in Texas, so it’s just for added support. As for the shade, it would depend on your situation. My planter is on the edge so it sees quite a bit of sun through the day, with partial shade as well.

8. dee potter says

I did this with allysum, as I love the flowing effect of it. I wanted it for my front yard under a tree. The top pot is tipped over, and the flowers are cascading down out of it. Great idea, and I get loads of compliments on it. This flower also comes back every year.

Trackbacks