I love breakfast. I love all types of breakfast foods- waffles, pancakes, sausage breakfast sandwiches, oatmeal, cream of wheat, breakfast cheesecake, cereal, toast, eggs, muffins… all of it! I’m a breakfast traditionalist- I can’t eat cold pizza or any other “non-breakfast” food that early. It’s just sacrilegious. If I had to pick a favorite though, it would have to be French toast.
For Christmas we always have a big brunch at my Mom’s house and she makes waffles, eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy- all for 20+ people. And every year she makes a plate of French toast just for me. It always makes me feel special, like ordering off a “secret” menu. Maybe that’s the reason French toast feels like such a treat any time I have it- which is funny because it’s so easy to make!
I topped this French toast with my Pecan Pie Granola. It adds a wonderful texture, and loads of flavor, without adding too much sweetness to an already decadent food. You can serve it with apple butter, like my pumpkin apple butter, powdered sugar, whipped cream, or real maple syrup. You can’t go wrong with this Pecan Pie French toast!
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 4 pieces of bread
- Combine all of the ingredients (except the bread) and whisk together.
- Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture; allow each side to soak up some of the egg mixture.
- Place the soaked bread into a skillet over medium heat, cook until each side are heated through and golden brown.
- Top with pecan pie granola, syrup, powdered sugar, or whipped cream.