Cheesy Italian Style Baked Beans
These Cheesy Italian Canned Baked Beans are a delicious spin on a Southern classic. Traditional Italian flavors like onion, garlic, tomatoes, and real Parmesan transform boring pantry staples into a comforting new dish.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 28 oz fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves, coarsely chopped + extra for garnish
- 3 15 oz cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- crushed red pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic, and 1/8 tsp salt.
Cook, stirring constantly, for five minutes of until tender.
Stir in tomatoes and rosemary. Bring to boiling; boil gently, uncovered, 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Stir in beans and half the Parmesan. Season to taste with crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper.
Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish and top with remaining Parmesan and the Fontina.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until beginning to lightly brown around the edges. Sprinkle with additional rosemary before serving.
Calories: 424kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 474mg | Potassium: 1394mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 515IU | Vitamin C: 13.4mg | Calcium: 415mg | Iron: 8.3mg