Raise your hand if you have leftover Easter ham.
Now, raise your hand if you love cheese.
If you’re not raising your hand, please hold it up slowly, and very carefully… smack your forehead.
Who doesn’t love cheese?
Since we had our Easter celebration on Saturday we have been having ham for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Don’t get me wrong, I love me some ham, especially the good stuff- Honeybaked Ham Co– but there are only so many ham sandwiches you can eat before you start oink-ing.
So tonight I decided to sneak some ham into dinner and made a seriously good cheesy ham & potatoes casserole. It’s basically scalloped potatoes with ham, but it is SO good, and kid-approved. It’s also a great week night meal and reheats really well!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1 lb cooked ham cubed
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 tbsp diced green onions
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes.
- Boil the potatoes 10-15 minutes, they should be almost fully cooked but not falling apart.
- Transfer the potatoes to a buttered casserole dish and top with ham.
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once melted, add the flour, salt, and pepper and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and slowly stir in the milk.
- Return to heat, add the cheese, and cook until thick and bubbly.
- Coat the potatoes and ham with the cheese sauce and top with green onions.
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.