People that know me (read: see my every day in real life) would probably laugh at the fact that I am about to talk to you about make-up. I am infamous for being a mascara-out-the-door type of girl. I never really went through a “make-up craze” as a teen, probably because I was so involved in sports that I either didn’t have time or didn’t want to just sweat it off. Now I can’t keep my six year old out of my make-up bag! Isabella had ballet pictures the other day and her instructor told us to apply some light make-up on the girls because the flash will wash them out in the pictures… it was then that I realized I didn’t even own a good lipstick!
So this past weekend I made a trip out to Walmart to update my collection. Lucky for me, there was a beauty consultant walking around that came to my rescue when she saw me perusing the aisles. She was very friendly and super helpful! She showed me some of the new skin care products from Olay, everything from age defying, microsculpting, and really neat regenerist products. She also helped me create a beauty routine that enhances my natural beauty but still fits in with my busy mom schedule. (To see more of my shopping trip, click here).
So what’s in my make-up bag now?
- Olay Fresh Effects BB Cream… this stuff is amazing. I am always leery of foundation or anything that feels “heavy” on my skin, but this stuff is so light! It’s an all in one broad spectrum skin perfecting tinted moisturizer with sunscreen. That is exactly what I need: make-up that multitasks!
- CoverGirl Clump Crusher Mascara- I have tried a lot of mascaras over the years, everything from the cheap & reliable to the expensive department store kind… and this one is a top contender. I like to (liberally) apply (several coats) of my mascara, and the clump crusher… well, it didn’t clump! I noticed a huge difference in my lower lid eye lashes.
- CoverGirl Smoky Shadow Blast- another multipurpose tool. This is a two-step contoured eye shadow of expertly paired shades to create a quick and easy smoky eye effect. I love that it just glides on and is all containing, no little brushes to mess with.
- CoverGirl Outlast All-Day Lipcolor- I love the look of a gloss, but hate that I am constantly fighting my hair to stay out of it. It’s like I have to make a choice wear my hair up or wear lip gloss. This lipcolor has 16hr staying power, but also comes with a moisturizing stick to keep you glossy and fresh without the mess. I was surprised how much I liked this lipcolor, and loved that it is “food, kiss, and workout proof”!
- CoverGirl Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss– I keep a french manicure on my nails, but my toes were in desperate need of an update! I chose a nice spring shade- Coy Coral- and have loved it! It matches my lipcolor nicely as well.
Here are my favorite tips from the beauty consultant:
- When trying to match a foundation color, don’t use your cheek or hand, use the area closest to your jawbone.
- Do your make-up with your eyes open! It’s a natural reaction to want to close your eyes when applying eye shadow, but remember to open them to use the natural crease lines.
- Make-up is meant to enhance your natural beauty, in most cases, less is more!
- Don’t be afraid to try new things and look for inspiration, your face is a canvas and it can easily be wiped clean!
I am so excited about all my new “tools” and even more so that I know how to use them! But you know what new make-up means right? An excuse to get all prettied-up 🙂
Lucky for me James was happy to comply, and we went out for a much needed date night. It was fun to try out my new look, especially since he is so used to me without much make-up.