You can pretty much guarantee that if Fettuccine Alfredo is on the menu that’s what I am ordering. I know, I’m a boring “foodie”, but my love for this stuff runs deep. It’s delicious with pasta obviously, but I’ve also made pizza with it.
Sometimes the best ideas are born from necessity. In my organizing frenzy last month I made it my mission to clean out the pantry and refrigerator. This easiest Alfredo sauce recipe is a result of that… half a bag of pasta with a little leftover cheese, cream, garlic and voila! I debated over calling this mac and cheese or Alfredo. The first time I threw it together I didn’t use any Parmesan and had more of a white sauce mac and cheese in mind. The second time I added just a small amount of Parmesan and instantly loved the richer flavor.
This recipe is so easy, and you probably already have the ingredients in your fridge/pantry right now. It comes together in the time it takes for you to boil your pasta, and can easily be adjusted to serve more or less. Trust me, after making your own you will never reach for the boxed stuff again.
Next mission: homemade fresh pasta!
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 oz Cabot White Sharp Cheddar, grated
- 1-2 tbsp Parmesan, grated
- ¼-1/2 cup whole milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Red Pepper Flakes, optional
- Boil the water and add your noodles as directed on the package.
- Add the flour and butter to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir constantly and do not burn this mixture.
- Once you have made a roux (paste), add the garlic.
- Allow to cook 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Gradually add the cream to this while stirring to keep the paste consistency.
- Add in the cheddar and Parmesan.
- Slowly add milk as needed to return to a smooth sauce consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the sauce with the cooked pasta and add red pepper flakes if desired.
Find more of my favorite pasta recipes here:
–Creamy Lasagna without Ricotta
–Parmesan Tortellini and Tomatoes
–One Skillet Baked Spaghetti