This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Barilla® and Johnsonville®. The opinions and texts are all mine.
Do you ever feel like you are making the same meals over and over again each week? For us, it’s homemade pizza and pasta on repeat. I decided to combine our two favorites and this Italian Sausage Pizza Pasta was born- and loved by everyone!
When I am out of ideas on what to make, I reach for the Barilla Blue Box. My girls love when I make “butter noodles” with angel hair pasta, a generous pat of butter, and a healthy dousing of salt and pepper. Whether I’m serving it with homemade Alfredo cream sauce or meat sauce loaded with veggies, Barilla Pasta brings Al Dente perfection to every pasta meal.
We love Italian sausage on pizza, but I’ve also been incorporating it in our pasta dishes lately as well. Since my oldest has a beef sensitivity, it’s nice to have convenient and flavorful options like 100% pork sausage. All the spices and flavors are built into Johnsonville Sausages – making recipe prep easy! They’re packed with protein and versatile, available in both link and ground varieties.
The best part of this recipe is that I was able to feed my family a nice dinner for under $10 with only a handful of simple ingredients I purchased at Kroger. If you’re too late in the season for fresh tomatoes, a can of diced tomatoes would also work. (You could also just skip this step entirely and substitute in a jar of Barilla pasta sauce.) We like to melt the mozzarella in with the hot noodles and meat sauce, and top with fresh Parmesan just before serving.
- 8oz Barilla Penne Pasta, uncooked
- 1lb Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage (ground)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1lb tomatoes, diced
- 8oz tomato sauce
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Basil leaves
- Cook pasta according to directions on package.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil; swirl to coat.
- Add sausage and onion to the skillet, cook until meat is fully cooked.
- Add garlic, cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, mix well.
- Stir in cooked pasta, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with more cheese and garnish with basil.