I actually made this Four Cheese Bacon Mac in OCTOBER of last year, back when I had the ridiculous idea that I was going to get ahead and save some recipes for “maternity leave” after I had the baby. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha!
It’s funny, you don’t really know how much something is missing from your life until you have it. Ian has only been with us for two (short?… long?… depends how much sleep I got the night before when you ask me) months and I can’t imagine our life without him. He has been such a joy. Something else that will bring you life-changing joy and not take you a grueling nine months to make? This macaroni and cheese.
I like using cavatappi pasta- it’s a little fancier than your usual macaroni noodle, but you could use whatever shape you prefer! This recipe is hungry husband, picky kid, and new mama approved.
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup colby-jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 slices Kraft American cheese
- Cook bacon as desired. (I like to arrange on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil and bake at 425 for 15 minutes.)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 3qt baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook cavatappi pasta as directed on the package. (Make sure to lightly salt the water.)
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter and flour together over medium heat.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, pouring in a thin stream and stirring constantly.
- Stir in onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Allow milk mixture to come to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer two minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss together cheddar, colby-jack, and mozzarella.
- Whisk in sliced cheese and 1¼ cups of cheddar mixture. Remove from heat.
- Toss the bacon pieces in with remaining cheddar mixture.
- Combine pasta and cheese sauce, toss to coat.
- Pour half into prepared dish and sprinkle with a generous cup of the bacon-cheese mixture. Repeat layering.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.